Seabound - Speak In Storms CD vö : 14.02.2014

Seabound has a knack for crafting atmospheres seldom matched in the game of futurepop, or whatever you’d like to call it. They manage to combine driving dance beats with sad, sombre emotions in a way not many can. On new album “Speak in Storms” they have started to move away from that sound, instead featuring a lot more introvert, moody pieces that takes a bit longer to digest. And the album is all the better for it; I always discover new stuff when I listen to it. Don’t be alarmed however, you’ll find a whole bunch of dance floor bangers as well, but they’re perhaps not as full-on as on their early output. “Nothing But Love” will get you going though, doing “futurepop” a lot better than VNV Nation these days.

Perhaps the change in sound is because it has taken Seabound 7 years to produce this album. A lot can happen in that period of time, and with Martin Vorbrodt now living in USA while Frank M. Spinath resides in Germany I can understand that it might be tricky to get things going. I’m glad that they’ve finally got it together, since I’ve always been a fan of their output. Seabound is a bright light in a genre that’s gone dull, and they have a unique sound.

The guys seem to have spent their time away by perfecting their studio skills, with a spotless, detailed sound. There’s no new “Avalost” of “The Promise” to be found but instead we get some intricate, moody, powerful compositions like “Contraband” and “Liberty Rose” that perfectly showcase the new path Seabound is taking. And I think they’re moving in the right direction.…9ef5da527cab8b5ffd849004c

Back when 'Double-Crosser' was released in autumn of 2006, I wasn't even into writing reviews but a great admirer of SEABOUND already. Over seven years later this is me sitting at my desk and listening to 'Speak In Storms' over and over again as preparation for the article. It's finally here and I'm agreeing with Frank Spinath: “It's a SEABOUND album”! The duo has cultivated a very distinguished style in electronic music at all times, which has grown further in technical perfection as years passed. The new album is like the allegorical storm in a glass of water, a black cloud of contained will in a sea of tranquillity, or the startling truth hidden underneath the calm surface.

Since most of you have clicked for the music, this is what we're going to explore as of now.
      “Imagine a tree, rupturing the soil from the seed. Reaching in ambition for a promise of the sky. It begins awakening to its existence and dreams from the earth it pushed through. It stretches out its many limbs. Each meant to fetch a taste of cloud.”
      “Imagine a tree...Wilting from weather and curling down into its trunk. It has learned the cost of desire. It understands the world is not limitless. And above all, it has never truly moved. It recoils to its base. Bowing to the thunder, closing its eyes.”

I have taken these words right off a page of the Tempest Edition of 'Speak In Storms'. The reason I am putting them here is their meaning for the journey through the album. It's all about perspective, the way you look at things, about insight. The opening 'For Life' shifts into the inner world. That, which is full of voices, thoughts, memories and regrets. The mind starts talking, about decisions made, never to be taken back. Something that could have been forever is now gone with the wind. The corresponding music is equally moody, combining heavy beats and complex atmospheres. It is indeed typically SEABOUND. 'Contraband', a term originally describing items illegally smuggled in or out of a country, is taken up to a more close and personal level as a touch of glacial cold permeates the air. A face appears and the inner conversation begins. It feels as if an entire lifetime's pain rests within few words that, however, reveal a certain commitment to gain closure by ending the psychological poisoning. Not leaving moody waters, this track however offers subtle shifts along the way.

'For Another Day' is the first to move slightly into a clubbier direction. There is little of the spherical character that both of the previous tracks showed but more jumping between perspectives on the lyrical side. One moment you find yourself being the primal beast lurking behind the facade we call civilization; the next you see the person you pretend to be for the outside world which is to vanish any moment given your opposites decision. Practically, anything could happen. The following 'Liberty Rose' is layering texture on texture and wouldn't it be for the constant pulse the beats add; you would lose yourself in it, never to find out ever again. The question is: Would you want to? One song that left a particularly deep impression is 'Lair', a soul searching ballad drawing haunting pictures in grey, while at the same time exploring a past that seems almost completely erased, or simply has vanished into oblivion because that was the better option even if that means going through life as an empty shell. “Help me understand why there's nothing to believe in.” The acoustic drums used on that particular track add an organic palette of colours. Taking a much more prominent role than they did on 'Breathe' from the last album works out very well for the track as well. I was already wondering when that one song with pop appeal the duo kept avoiding for almost the entire album would enter the arena.

There it is ladies and gentleman: 'Nothing But Love' spinning through dusk into the first glimpse of dawn, never really touching ground, hovering. It is a dream of how a perfectly happy moment would be, had it ever existed before being dragged back into reality which is a small place wrapped in concrete, not even dreams or thoughts could escape from, not for long that is. So you're a traveller between light and dark, each side specifically assigned with their own melodies and moods while the frantic rhythm keeps beating. Similarly calm as its counterpart on the last album begins 'Black Feathers' though the story it conceals in poetry is not made to end in a frenzy; not conceived to have such opposing faces. The song's tragic beauty is filtered through weightless tones and offers as clear as daylight, and as it happens rarely when it comes to SEABOUND, the simple truth of most of us having long given up questioning things. Disillusioned and as taught by society, we are taking our place in it, limiting the potential to make a change. “Conditioned into silence, we learn to shut our wings.”

This is not over yet for we have a second disc ahead of us. The sole new track on it 'When She's Hungry' has been previewed already through various media channels. It most likely never will become THE club hit since its structure incorporates too many breaks for it to work. But on the other hand it is much like a volcano building up steam and at a given point releasing it all at once onto the listener. The remainder of the disc is filled with remixes, two of which I'd like to point out. One would be 'For Another Day' by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER who did a little re-modelling on the track, so the end result is a rather relaxed sounding jazz-ish version that beside the vocal lines has nothing in common with the original. The other one is 'Black Feathers (Requiem)' by Mr HECQ (Ben Boysen) which is building on the ambient parts of the material provided and adding a few more layers to it with a tinge of classical music. This is actually the version of the song I'm finding myself listening to many more times than the regular one.

Since I am one of the happy few to own a Tempest Edition of the album, there is still something more to say. That one breaks with the ordinary format and comes enclosed in a little book and expanded artwork by Nico J of ACRETONGUE who did a particularly splendid job on that one. Those pictures have a very distinctive mood to complement the songs. Also, there are a few stories included, one of which I used earlier above, to round off the experience. What remains to be said is that I have very much enjoyed listening to this album that works on so many levels and most likely will continue to do so for a long time. Those years were well worth the wait and it's good to see the duo is still at the top of their game.…-seabound-speak-in-storms…9ef5da527cab8b5ffd849004c

Welch schöne Überraschung, der singende Psychologe ist wieder da! Nach über 7 Jahren Pause kehren SEABOUND an die elektronische Oberfläche zurück. Das ursprünglich in Bielefeld beheimatete Projekt begeisterte mit den vorangegangenen Werken (insbesondere „Beyond Flatline“ und die superbe „Poisonous Friend“-EP) all diejenigen, die im Synthetik-Genre mehr als stumpfe Beats und Knicklicht-Beschallung sehen. Danach herrschte erstmal Ruhe im Keyboard, Herr Spinath lehrt als Professor im Saarland, und sein Instrumental-Kollege Martin Vorbrodt lebt mittlerweile in den Staaten. Nicht zu vergessen die Nebenprojekte EDGE OF DAWN/ GHOST & WRITER. Doch vor 2 Jahren begann eine transatlantische Kollaboration (diesen Begriff zitiere ich mal gerne aus der Promoinfo), der wir letztendlich Studio-Album Numero 4 verdanken, welches – so viel nehme ich schon mal vorweg – in keinster Weise enttäuscht.

Mit den ersten beiden Tracks startet man vergleichsweise sperrig, doch davon sollte man sich nicht irritieren lassen. Gerade die eher komplexeren SEABOUND-Kompositionen entfalten auf Dauer einen ungeheuren Reiz. „For Life“ und „Contraband“ bestechen mit sphärischen Klängen und ausgeklügelter Laut-/ Leise-Dynamik. „For Another Life“ fällt dann deutlich eingängiger und… ja tanzbarer aus, ohne an Qualität einzubüßen. Schnell fühlt man sich wieder heimisch bei den typischen Refrains mit den sich überlagernden Stimmeinsätzen und den überwiegend sehr wohlklingenden Melodiebögen. In dieselbe Richtung tendieren auch „A Grown Man“ und das ansatzweise Future Poppige „Everything“, wo man schon nach kurzer Zeit gar nicht anders kann, als mitzuträllern. „Liberty Rose“ als eher unspannendes Interlude dazwischen ignorieren wir einfach mal, zumal auch im hinteren Bereich weitere Soundperlen warten wie der epische Abschluss „Black Feathers“ oder das sich perfekt steigende „Lair“. Auffällig meiner bescheidenen Meinung nach das insgesamt etwas „tiefer“ wirkende Sound-Design und die ein oder andere Ähnlichkeit zu den Labelmates MIND.IN.A.BOX in Sachen AthmoSPHÄRE. Und auf die üblicherweise sehr intelligenten Texte des Herren Psychologen bin ich noch gar nicht eingegangen, wobei ich gestehen muss, dass die für mich eher sekundär sind in diesem Genre.

Ob man nun qualitativ ganz anschließen kann an die Vorgänger, vermag ich noch nicht abschließend zu beurteilen. Auf jeden Fall ein wichtiges Release für die deutsche Electro Landschaft, das im April auch live vorgestellt wird. Die Limited Edition enthält zusätzlich noch einige Bonus Tracks, die mir allerdings nicht vorlagen.…9ef5da527cab8b5ffd849004c

Seabound melden sich nach sieben Jahren zurück! Ich musste ehrlich gesagt zweimal hinschauen um die sieben Jahre überhaupt glauben zu können. Der Umstand das Frank M. Spinath jedoch ununterbrochen seine Stimme anderen Projekten (Edge Of Dawn, Ghost & Writer) verliehen hat und diese musikalisch nicht so weit von Seabound weg sind ist die Zeit wie im Fluge vergangen. Interessant ist allerdings das Seabound mit gerade mal 3 Alben sich dennoch einen erhöhten Stellenwert erarbeiten konnten.

Jetzt aber ist mit „Speak In Storms“ endlich neues Material zu haben und dieses schließt sich nahtlos an die anderen Alben an. Wie sagte die Band noch in einem Interview? „Es ist ein Seabound Album eben“. Stimmt! Intelligent arrangierte Melodien und Sounds verleihen der Band immer noch eine qualitative dichte, die man so eben nicht an jeder Ecke findet. Es hat sich nicht viel geändert. Noch immer stehen Rhythmen im Vordergrund und die kühle Atmosphäre ist auch immer allgegenwärtig. Der Opener „For Life“ lässt das Album langsam anfahren. Es ist einer dieser dunklen, schweren Seabound Songs, die man früher her kennt. Happiness war ja bislang eh nicht eine der großen Stärken des Duos. Doch man kann auch anders, „For Another Day“ lässt die Tanzbeine in Schwingung kommen. Vom Songaufbau her erinnert mich der Song sehr an „Smoke“ vom Debütalbum. Erinnerungen ruft auch der Song „Liberty Rose“ auf. „Soul Diver“ steht hier ein wenig Pate. Ingesamt haben Seabound es verstanden an Traditionellen Sounds festzuhalten und sich dabei dennoch weiterzuentwickeln. Verstärkt hat sich jedoch die kühle Atmosphäre die mit „Speak In Storms“ nun in Frost nähe angekommen zu sein scheint. Keine gute Laune, und dennoch nicht Böse und kein Krach. Mit gängigen Trends kommt man dem Duo einfach nicht bei. In der Summe stellen Seabound auch heute noch einen „Stand Alone Standard“ dar.,id2314,1,seabound_speak_storms.html…9ef5da527cab8b5ffd849004c

In wenigen Tagen startet endlich (!) SEABOUNDs „Speak In Storms“ Tour. Und passend zu diesem feierlichen Anlass haben sich Martin Vorbrodt und Frank M. Spinath für ihre Fans ein kleines Schmankerl einfallen lassen. Wer die Konzerte besucht (also hoffentlich Ihr alle), der sollte mal wachen Auges am Merchandise Stand vorbeischlendern. Dort wartet nämlich die limitierte „Radiant Turbulence“ EP auf Euch. Ausgestattet ist die EP mit Songs aus den Anfangstagen von Seabound, neu gemastert und mit neuem Gesang versehen. Abgerundet wird dieser Fan-Service durch einen Architect Remix sowie mit Beiträgen von Iris, die Seabound auf dieser Tour begleiten. Langjährige Hörer werden sich erinnern, dass es etwas ähnliches bereits 2004 im Rahmen der „Beyond Flatline“-Tour gab. Seinerzeit wurde jener Silberling, der Remixe und exklusive Songs von Seabound – und Pride And Fall Songs beinhaltete, an die Gäste verschenkt. Heute ist die Scheibe ein unter Fans begehrtes Sammlerstück. Die Chancen stehen bestens, dass sich diese Geschichte mit „Radiant Turbulence“ wiederholt. Solltet Ihr es nicht zu einem der Konzerte schaffen, lasst Euch am besten von jemanden einen dieser Schätze mitbringen. Nachfolgend für Euch der Vollständigkeit wegen die Tracklist. So und nun kann es aber auch endlich wirklich mal losgehen mit der Tour! Wir sind schon ganz hibbelig darauf, das sensationelle „Speak In Storms“ und viele geliebte Klassiker live abzufeiern.

01 SEABOUND – Molly [re-recorded]
      02 SEABOUND – Science [re-recorded]
      03 SEABOUND – A Grown Man [Architect Remix]
      04 IRIS – Phenom [Elevated Mix]
      05 IRIS – Cries Of Insanity

Nach 17 Jahren Pause sind die legendären Grenzwellen ( mit Ecki Stieg wieder im Radio und online zu hören! In seiner zweiten Sendung vom 16. April hat Ecki ein einstündiges Seabound-Special aufgenommen
      und ein Interview mit Martin und Frank geführt. Wer dies verpasst hat, kann es sich hier anhören:

Jetzt auch im Dependent Online-Shop erhältlich: limitierte Split-EP von Seabound | Iris: "Radiant Turbulence"

Limitierte Split-EP mit 5 Tracks von Seabound | Iris:

"Radiant Turbulence"
      1. Seabound - Molly (Re-Recording from 1996 demo)
      2. Seabound - Science (Re-Recording from 1996 demo)
      3. Seabound - A Grown Man (Architect Mix)
      4. Iris - Phenom (Elevated Mix)
      5. Iris - Cries Of Insanity